Michaels Energy piloted an energy efficiency program for 38 hotels in Minnesota during 2014-2015. Components of this pilot, discussed in this webinar, include:
1) use of ENERGY STAR portfolio manager to benchmark and certify high performers,
2) field audits and documentation of energy conservation measures,
3) implementation support by contractor partners,
4) surveying of hotel guests regarding the impact of energy efficiency on comfort, and
5) field testing of new technologies, in particular a liquid pool cover.
Results show that hotels have significant opportunities to reduce their energy usage and guests are unlikely to notice the measures. Excellent cost savings are available and measure paybacks are quite attractive (frequently 2 years or less), especially when non-energy benefits such as water and maintenance savings are included in the calculation. Recommendations for utilities, hotels, contractors, and regulators to better serve this market sector are shared in this webinar.
This project was supported by a grant from the Minnesota Department of Commerce, Division of Energy Resources.